How To Control High Blood Pressure, 7 Easy Steps
High blood pressure, or hypertension, can be controlled through lifestyle changes, medication, or a combination of both. Here are some steps you can take to manage your blood pressure:
- Eat a healthy diet: This includes eating more fruits, vegetables, and whole grains and reducing your intake of salt, saturated and trans fats, and added sugars.
- Get regular physical activity: Aim for at least 30 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise on most days of the week.
- Lose weight if you are overweight or obese: Even a small amount of weight loss can help lower your blood pressure.
- Limit alcohol intake: Men should have no more than two drinks per day, and women should have no more than one drink per day.
- Quit smoking: Smoking damages your blood vessels and increases your risk of hypertension.
- Reduce stress: Engage in activities that help you relax, such as meditation, deep breathing, or yoga.
- Take your medication as prescribed: If you have been prescribed medication to lower your blood pressure, be sure to take it as directed.
It’s important to work with your healthcare provider to determine the best treatment plan for you. Don’t be afraid to ask questions or bring up any concerns you may have.